Rentokil Initial automate capital expenditure processes with bespoke CapEx software development
Bespoke capital expenditure software offers Rentokil Initial centralised control, standardised processes, financial transparency and compliance over their capital expenditure approval process.
Rentokil Initial is one of the largest business services companies in the world, employing more than 66,000 people providing a wide range of services in 56 countries. The Initial Textiles and Hygiene division is a specialist in textile, hygiene and medical services, operating in 16 European countries.
Initial has historically operated a decentralised model with each country managing local processes for capital expenditure approval, mainly on paper forms. At Divisional level, there was a desire for greater visibility, smarter approval process and forecast to be spent.
Seeking to centralise its capital expenditure approval process (CapEx) across European operations, Rentokil Initial identified a need for technology that could overlay process control within the organisation.
In addressing the business need for more visibility into its CapEx process, Rentokil Initial sought a tool that would incorporate workflow, business logic and reporting. Over the course of two months, they reviewed competitive products. They worked closely with their systems integrator, reviewed Gartner’s Magic Quadrant and conducted an internal evaluation.
With the goal of increasing visibility into both its current and forecasted spend, as well as creating a more intelligent, automated approval process, Rentokil Initial weighed the company’s needs and priorities. They then chose to implement a pilot program with a Cloud-based solution to determine if it would satisfy the needs of their business users.
Delivering on the promise of rapid deployment and cost savings, while also providing the desired process improvements, Rentokil Initial entered into a Proof of Concept with Process Director/Cloud Edition by BP Logix. Upon completing the pilot and being satisfied with its results, the company then deployed the product throughout its European Initial Textiles and Hygiene division.
As an IT support group, we offer our business colleagues choices. The decision to select Process Director/Cloud Edition was made by the Divisional CFO, as the prototype of the CapEx process worked to his satisfaction. From an IT perspective we were also genuinely pleased with the pilotChris Broe, Group CIO, Rentokil Initial
The BPM software can be accessed from any location and presents users with bespoke portlets, showing their assigned tasks and knowledge views. Users can initiate a CapEx request, which contain detailed budget, approved request and monthly cash flow data and applies logic rules to assist the users in completing the electronic forms correctly.
- User and group configurable web portal access to data, reports and processes
- Admin portals with greater visibility and system alert screens
- User/Business Unit membership with hierarchy for permissions
- End user management of back-end database through Excel file integration
- Automated routing of completed eForms through dynamic authorisation paths
- Full audit trail with user ID’s and timestamps
- Automatic handling of time zones
- Rejection and clarification workflow processes
- eMail notifications and timed reminders
- PDF rendition of request forms attached to eMail notifications and for archival
- Automatic processing of eMail responses based on keyword extraction
- Microsoft Excel based reporting via dynamic data merges
Once submitted, the electronic forms are routed through the relevant workflow, based upon asset category, business unit, budgets and authorisation limits, often requiring approval from as many as six or more people. eMail notifications are sent, containing hyperlinks directly to the forms or if staff are away from their desk, they can simply send one word approve/reject replies with notes, directly from their smart phones.
CapEx form features
- Automatic multi-lingual translation of eForms
- All figures automatically shown in local currency and GB
- Business unit and asset category current position report including
- Yearly budget amounts
- Approved CapEx amounts with remaining totals by month
- Monthly cashflow forecast for all approved CapEx
- Monthly budget and cashflow budget available
- User selection for business unit, category, currency etc.
- Entry of request amount and expected cashflow, over up to six years
- Inter-dependant CapEx request linking
- Rich-text request descriptions with spell check
- Attachments of any format (XLS, JPG, DOC etc.)
- Comment log, for any participant to add time stamped notes to a request
- Predicted authorisation path (dependant on unit, asset category, amount etc.
- Integrated sanity checks and rules for entered data
The entire system is designed to be multi-lingual, with forms automatically translating into the user’s local language. Flexible access to the user, unit, budget, limit and authorisation path data was also required with an Excel import feature to allow end-user management of the backend data.
The system has generated significant cost savings from centralised control, standardised process, enhanced financial transparency and ensured compliance.
If you want to find out more about CapEx software development, or wish to book a capital expenditure software demonstration, please contact us.